Chapter #10: Youth and Youtube


YouTube Community Guidelines & Policies ...    


Chapter #10: Youth and Youtube

YouTube is an easy way to share videos on this platform of content. YouTube was founded way back in 2006 that's 18 years ago. Some demographics of YouTube are 54.2% of male usage compared to 45.8% of female usage. This is one of the closest ranges on social media platforms. On average 1 billion hours are watched on YouTube each day. Something that made sense to me was that 70% of YouTube usage is used on mobile devices. 

    Personally, I do notice that I use YouTube more on my phone than TV or laptop. I am not sure if this is due to my family using YouTube Music vs Spotify or Apple Music, but I generally use YouTube on my phone. 

    There are also many sub-brands and more parts to YouTube including YouTube Music and YouTube TV. I know each of these sub-brands has perks. For example with YouTube TV, you can access certain cable channels and exclusive streams plus get ad-free videos.

    I don't know about anyone else but my sister and I watched Youtube religiously. As we grew up and changed so did the content we watched. As of now in the last few years, I have definitely watched less and less YouTube overall, and if I have it was for a specific purpose. 

    A statistic about YouTube that stuck out to me was that YouTube reaches more 18-49-year-olds than all linear TV networks combined in the US. This doesn't surprise me too much I just never would've thought that about the platform and YouTube itself. 

    I have noticed that as time goes on I notice a lot of younger kids and their parents use YouTube more often than TV. I noticed this a few years ago when iPad kids started to become a thing. This is not necessarily a new parenting tactic but I see it more and more often. I don't see it as useful as some might but all I see is temporary fixing a issue. I know that most parents just give their kids a screen sometimes to keep quiet or "behave" but in reality, it's causing unrealistic standards. 

    I hope that in the future this becomes an issue or problem that can be resolved more healthily. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: Wrapping Things Up...or So I Thought

Week 2: Thinking Theta

Week 5: Ruby at Northern Recap