Week 11: Another year of Life ... A Liverversery Celebration


    Life is unexpected. Especially when you grow up chronically ill. Ever since I was little it's all I can remember from growing up. Missing countless hours of school for various appointments in different clinics, getting blood taken every day for several weeks once, and even missing out on growing and socializing as a kid. All simply because I was too tired to keep up with my peers. 

    I was born with a genetic condition called Alpha Antitrypsin Deficiency. This mostly affects the Liver and the Lungs. But for my situation, it affected my liver. My liver didn't function the way it was supposed to and to put it simply it means my body didn't make enough of the protein that is supposed to protect the lungs and liver from damage. 
                
    This April marks not only my 3rd anniversary of getting my new liver on the 14th but it happens to be National Donate Life Month as well. Ever since I found out I would eventually need a liver transplant back then at age the young age of 13, I jumped right into becoming an advocate for Lifeline of Ohio. I wanted EVERYONE to know about this subject of Organ Donation. Although it's not typically something I share or many know in my everyday life this topic is something I am EXTREMELY passionate about it. 

    The typical person doesn't think much about Organ Donation as it is most likely only brought up one time when first registering for a driver's license or permit and maybe while getting your license renewed. This means that many are not educated on what organ donation actually is due to reasons like misinformation and rumors. 

    What exactly is Organ Donation you may wonder? Organ donation is the process by which a person authorizes organs or tissue of their own to be removed and transplanted into another person by legal consent. There are many organs and tissues that can be donated including hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers, pancreas, heart valves, intestines, bones, nerves, and tendons.

    I highly encourage you to look into and become a registered organ donor if you aren't one already. You can sign up at the DMV/BMV or go to https://donatelife.net/

    If you want to learn more about my story or want any more information I'm always happy to talk about it through social media and in person!

Here are some photos that I have taken over my journey. 

Warning: jaundice 

                                                


These two pictures are of me during my transplant evaluation stay at Nationwide Children's Hospital, where two weeks later I received my new liver.



       This was the afternoon before I received the call that they had a liver for me that night!!


















This photo is from when I went to Hawaii during my senior year of high school for my Make-A-Wish.

Comments

  1. This is amazing. I loved reading your story and seeing the pictures. You are so strong, and organ donation is such an important cause. I am an organ donor myself because I have had people in my family who have been in critical condition and are alive today thanks to organ donors. It was awesome learning about your story and extremely touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an amazing story, Althea! Organ donation is important and not talked about enough. I loved reading your blog post about this, it was very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible Althea! Your story is so inspiring and I totally agree that Organ Donation is not talked about enough! You're doing incredible work for Lifeline of Ohio and I can't wait to learn more about organ donation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: Wrapping Things Up...or So I Thought

Week 2: Thinking Theta

Week 5: Ruby at Northern Recap